Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A mix of Buttons and Flowers

I received an email last week for a custom order. The bride liked the Secret Garden bouquet but wanted the purple to be periwinkle and to add daisies. I am never sure how mixing different mediums will end up in the end. I didn't know how this one would work.

My first challenge, before mixing the daisies, was to figure out what color periwinkle actually is. I had a small 12 stem bouquet order awhile back that consisted of orange flowers and periwinkle buttons. I ended up finding a few buttons that kind of worked. It wasn't the best match but I was able to mix in some other colors to cancel out my lack of periwinkle buttons.

This time around I thought I would dye my own, using a paint sample I found to match the color. I threw in one button and it turned out the right color. I was shocked! So I put in a bag full of assorted size buttons. I stir, stir, mix, mix and pull them out. They turned out PURPLE! Not sure how that happened when the first one was a periwinkle blue.

So, I tried again. This time I got pretty close. I ended up just going with it to avoid wasting buttons. I sent some pictures to the client and she really liked how they turned out.

I put the bouquet together, daisies and all and it went a lot smoother than expected. Check out the pictures.

I sent pictures for approval before I started working on the other pieces for the order...and...She LOVED it! It was a big relief to hear that she loves it and it is exactly what she wanted! It really made my day!


wayside violet said...

I'm so impressed that you dye buttons! that's so cool!

Ariela said...

My next challenge is Lapis buttons. A deep purple. It is so hard to match the wedding colors we get in orders. If I were to order special buttons for each order I would not make as much so I have started dying them for that reason.